Second call for applications
The second call for applications closed on September 11th.
Results of the second selection procedure are available here.
First call for applications
50 positions (4 of them reserved for the winners of SISSA scholarships) are avaiable according the following table
|EU citizens or equivalent||Non-EU citizens living abroad|
|30||20 (2 of them reserved for the Marco Polo project)|
During the selection process, we consider equivalent to EU citizens:
- Citizens of Norways, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Republic of San Marino, and Vatican City
- Non-EU citizens already living in Italy
Foreign students can find rules and information about how to apply at the URL http://www.studiare-in-italia.it/studentistranieri/.
Candidates must have:
- academic degree, or equivalent, with a graduation grade greater or equal to 80 over 110. In the absence of a Bachelor Degree, the weighted average of the exams will be considered instead.
- obtained at least 60 ECTS in the following topics:
- mathematics (MAT/*)
- computer science (INF/01)
- information engineering (ING-INF/*)
- industrial engineering (ING-IND/*)
- civil engineering (ICAR/01-09)
- physics (FIS/*)
- statistics and mathematical methods for decisions (SECS-S/*)
- economy and finance (SECS-P01, 05, 08, 09, 11)
- chemistry (CHIM/*)
- molecular and genetic biology (BIO/10, 11, 18)
- geophysics and terrestrial physics (GEO/10, 12)
- obtained at least 9 ECTS in math fields (MAT/*, SECS-S/06)
- adequate knowledge of English, certified by internationally recognized certification of level B2 or higher, or by passing a test equivalent to level B2.
Available positions will be assigned in two distinct selection procedures; if some of the positions will still be unassigned after them, a supplementary selection may be held.
|SELECTION||AVAILABLE POSITIONS||APPLICATION TIME|
|1st phase||32 (13 of them reserved to Non-EU citizens)||from April 16 to June 14, 2018|
|2nd phase||Positions not assigned during 1st selection + 18 (7 of them reserved to Non-EU citizens)||from June 20 to August 30, 2018|
Supplementary (only if needed)
|Positions not assigned during 1st and 2nd selections||from September 10 to September 25, 2018|
In order to apply, you need to register in the university system via this link, and then apply for the selection procedure in DSSC. Follow this walkthrough if you need help on the application.
After you registered and applied, you still need to provide us the following documentation, for the evaluation procedure.
- [for students/degree holdes of italian universities only] self-certification of the degree and exams taken, or, in the case of students who have not yet graduated, self-certification of enrolment and study plan, complete with exams taken and to be taken. Check the call for details.
[all others] official and legalized documentation of the degree and exams taken, or, in the case of students who have not yet graduated, self-certification of enrolment and study plan, complete with exams taken and to be taken.
- brief description of teaching programs. This you can self-certify yourself. We need to know what you learned.
- curriculum vitae;
- other qualifications deemed useful for purposes of the evaluation (courses taken, relevant professional experience, etc.);
- English language certification (level B2 or equivalent), if available;
- copy of a valid identity document.
The selection procedure consist in two steps: an evaluation of the curriculum and an individual interview. During the interview, the English skills of those candidates not having a B2 certification will be tested. The basic preparation of students on mathematics, statistics, and informatics will also be tested. Please consult the syllabus for an overview of the arguments of possible questions that will be asked.
All the selection creteria will be detailed in the official call for admission (avaiable soon).
Selections will take place on the following dates (candidates admitted to the interview will be contacted in due time):
|1st phase||from June 18 to June 29, 2018|
|2nd phase||from September 3 to September 11, 2018|
Supplementary (only if needed)
|from September 26 to September 27, 2018|
The selection results will be published in the "Albo Ufficiale di Ateneo" in the following dates:
|SELECTION||RESULTS PUBLICATION DATE|
|1st phase||July 2, 2018|
|2nd phase||September 12, 2018|
Supplementary (only if needed)
|September 28, 2018|
Admitted students will have to enroll in the following periods. Admitted international students should immediately contact the international student office for further details on the procedure.
International non-EU students need a VISA to study in Italy. The full procedure is explained in detal in this page of the university website. The fundamental step to get a VISA is to apply for pre-enrollment to the Italian Embassy/Consulate in your country, by July 24, 2018. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible (preparing all docs and get an appointment takes time): it is sufficient to have applied for the selection procedure. Pre-enrollment for 2018 is already open. If you need help in this respect, please contact via email the international student office, writing to email@example.com. Please specify that you ask help for the master program in Data Science and Scientific Computing in the subject of the email.
In order to get help for other issues related to moving to Italy or Trieste, from finding a place to stay to health insurance, please refer to the regional Welcome Office.
This is the list of topics that may be asked during the intervirew to check the basic preparation of students.
- Computer science: knowledge of the basic programming, knowledge and minimal experience with a programming language, knowledge of basic notions of algorithms and data structures.
- Mathematics: fundamentals of differential and integral calculus of one and more variables. Fundamentals of differential equations. Fundamentals of linear algebra (matrices, determinants, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors).
- Probability: basics of probabilities and elements of statistics (descriptive statistics and basic of inferential methods).